Wednesday, March 01, 2006

i'm taking a mental health day today. nothing too dramatic. but i did a lot of thinking on the bus ride to/from ny and realize that i need to figure out what i want to do with my life and do it. this corporate nonsense is not for me. i need my day-to-day work life to make a positive difference for humanity. i mean, my job is fine for now, but it's not fine forever. and, my heart longs to go back to camp life. it's sick, i know, but that's what calls me. and really - if you think of people who are truly successful, they're people who work at something they feel passionate about. and i do not, suprisingly, feel passionate about taxes. so we'll see what i come up with today. i am planning on working on my resume and cover letters, posting my resume at some camp job sites and things like that. i also need to decide whether i am brave enough to work at camp this summer if i don't have a full-time job by then. and, whether or not i want to be a teacher. everyone tells me i should be a teacher. what if they're all seeing something that i don't?

what do you think?

5 Comments:

Blogger CrackerLilo said...

I think after tax season's a very good time to think about this, and think it wouldn't hurt you to send out some resumes, do some research, and apply for some jobs that interest you.

March 01, 2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger smax said...

clandy,

this post made me happy for you. you SHOULD be doing something you're passionate about (we all should). i think it's great to make the move if that's what's right.

camp/teaching that's for you to decide. i suspect there is a position that encompasses both.

i dont know what you're really looking for, but suzie's son works for a thing called Project Use in Hewitt NJ. it's a team training/trust/etc. thing in a camp/outdoor setting.
wait... here's a thing from their website (http://www.projectuse.com/):


Project U.S.E. is a private, nonprofit educational corporation that provides a wide range of Adventure Education services to more than 200 public and private schools, colleges, youth programs, community organizations, and corporations. We believe that embracing change is the best answer for facing life�s challenges. By staying open to change, questioning ourselves and others, and strengthening our relationships, we are better equipped to understand the value of leadership, trust, collaboration, and self-reliance.

March 01, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger alan said...

Though it's trite, all I can say is follow your heart if you can. I "sold my soul to the devil" 27 years ago because I had a wife, one kid and another on the way, and thought I could do 30 and retire with benefits. Now it seems the joke was on me...

If you truly value the opinions of those who think you should teach, then perhaps they do see something you don't, and perhaps checking into it might be an option. Sit in on some classes maybe, check for jobs in an area you'd like to live in, etc..

Best of luck!

alan

March 01, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

I think you know what you want.

Make it work work as Timm Gunn would say!

STB

March 03, 2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger mamalicious said...

you should absolutely do what you love, not what you have to do. I love teaching and my connections with kids - I think you need something like that, too. You have to do what brings you peace...not a job that makes you cranky.

It's a hard road but a good one.

March 03, 2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home