Thursday, January 05, 2006

cre$dit ca$rd$

I love to spend money. I'll admit it! I love to go shopping and buy things. Perhaps it's some sort of psychological crutch or perhaps it's just that I like it. Whichever, it's something I like to do. I am not very fancy, and I don't buy much, but I spend much more than I have. Sometimes, I think I'll pay back my credit cards. Sometimes, I don't care. But, now it's time to stop!

I don't really regret buying/doing any of the things I've bought/done that have landed me in the situation I'm in now. Clearly, I should have saved more money, and I should have spent less. Clearly. But, I'm only 28 and I think I'll allow myself this series of missteps, as I otherwise make consistently good decisions.

And now, I just have to pay for all the fun and stuff and trips that have already happened. Because I'm such a nerd, I made a whole big excel spreadsheet with all my credit card debt and I have a big plan for getting out of debt (well, this kind, anyway) by September, 2008. Not too bad, right?

Of course, this whole plan hinges on my not using my credit cards anymore! Which, of course, is the hard part. But I'm determined!! So, please wish me luck on this endeavor. I have my full-time sell-out job and a part-time tutoring job, and with these two things, and the fact that I have a partner with a full-time job and no children, I figure I'm in a much much better position than many other people.

So, I'm going to look forward and not backwards, and fix this mess before it gets completely out of control.

crossing my fingers and toes that i can stick to this plan.....

6 Comments:

Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Every last thing you said is smart, and needs no addition or subtraction.

I just want to tell you--been there, done that, have every faith that it will work out for you!

January 05, 2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Just cut them up already! Or freeze them in a block of ice - then you won't even be tempted to use them!

January 06, 2006 7:30 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

when you are paying cash for something, you'll think twice before buying...i am so with you on this credit card thing...i know you can do it...you'll love the feeling of being free from debt...
you can do it!!

January 06, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Blogzie said...

Of course you can do it.

You're a very smart girl.

I use credit cards for emergencies but other than that I pay cash.

x0x0x

January 06, 2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

I haven't used credit cards..or at least credit cards where I carry a balance since the late 1980s!

You can do it.

Just remember. You've got what you've got. Don't spend THERE money.

THEY are going to get you if you do.

STB

January 08, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I was listening to somebody say that paying the minimum on a certain cc with a certain amount would take 56 years to pay back, costing several thousands of course.

I just went thru the same thing. We are paying off all the cards. Motely Fools will tell you not to even think of investing until you pay off cc debt.

Good for you for making a plan and getting rid of it by the time you hit the big 30! You are such a baby!

Best of luck Clandy!

January 10, 2006 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home