Thursday, November 10, 2005

For Jojo


A Child Loaned

I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine," He said,
"for you to love the whole while she lives.
It may be six or seven years or twenty-two or three,
but will you, till I call her back, take care of her for me?"

"She'll bring her charm to gladden you,
and should her stay be brief,
you'll have her lovely memories
as solace for your grief."

"I cannot promise she will stay
since all from earth return,
but there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to help you learn."

"I've looked this wide world over
in my search for teachers true,
and from the things that crowd life's lane
I have selected you."

"Now will you give her all your love
nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call
and take her back again?"

"I fancied that I heard them say
'Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
for all the joy the child shall bring
the risk of grief we'll run.'

'We'll shelter her with tenderness;
We'll love her while we may,
and for the happiness we've known
forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for her
much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.'"

- adapted from Edgar Guest
This is for Jojo, a blogging friend of mine whose daughter Kristin's battle with her severe brain injuries ended yesterday. Please keep Jojo's family in your thoughts and prayers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christinewjc said...

Dear Clandestine,

What a beautiful poem and dedication you have shared here about Kristin for Jojo. God bless you for showing such love, compassion and care in such a time as this.

Christine

November 10, 2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger mamalicious said...

Clandy;

Sweet, sweet. I just learned of Kristin's death...

November 10, 2005 12:35 PM  
Blogger Jojo said...

Clandi,
You are so sweet to do this for us. I have read this poem before and absolutley love it. Thank you for choosing it. But mostly, just thank you for sending your love and caring about our hurt. I don't have time yet to respond to everyone - but just know how much I appreciate the notes of encouragment from Cracker, Mama, Brad and MGHW. Please tell them how much it touched my heart and I will tell them myself when I can.

November 10, 2005 4:36 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Clandy - I couldn't even finish reading the poem. I'm so moved by your compassion towards JoJo. Blessings be upon you.

Stephen

November 10, 2005 5:23 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Clandy,

What precious words and a beautiful expression of God's love for us, even in the midst of something so very painful. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful and such a blessing to our sweet friend.

Melanie

November 11, 2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger author said...

hey girl, how lovely a tribute for that little angel.
I am so sad for JoJo.

Still trying to get caught up to
reply to your inquiry.
Sorry, it has been crazy around
my house. Working today but,
Monday will be better.
hugs to you and yours.

November 13, 2005 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home