Wednesday, August 31, 2005

so sorry

Here I am, sitting at work, thinking about how I can't wait for 10 minutes to pass so I can go home.

But there are pictures of piles of houses, cars, belongings...all in piles. And 20,000 people in a caravan to Texas to live in a stadium for two months. And then?? The people who ended up in the superdome to begin with were people who couldn't get out of the city because they were sick, had nowhere to go, no way to get out, and no money. So how are they going to rebuild their lives? What about all the poor people? What are they going to do? What about people who were just making it, but not making it enough to be able to get insurance for their apartments? How are these people going to get the things they need to live when they have a chance to try?

Besides, 20,000 people in a relatively small space for two months will end up in a Lord of the Flies-like disaster. The poor people are traumatized! They may help each other to begin with, but they will start to lose it after awhile.

And I have to figure out what to have for dinner, worry about doing laundry...

And I imagine - what would happen to me if suddenly I had no home, no job, no money for two months??

That will ruin people's lives. Won't it? I mean, they'll be glad to be alive, but they're going to have to start all over.

Of course, the people with a lot of money and resources will be fine.

I just don't know what's going to happen to the people there and it makes me very sad. And what about people in hospitals? Will they all just die when the generators run out of fuel? Will the soil be poisoned now? Will they be able to restore drinking water?

I just feel so horrible because there's nothing I can do and I wish I could do something to help those people there.....

1 Comments:

Blogger CrackerLilo said...

It's gonna get pulled together somehow, honey. It always has. Nothing's going to be the same there, and there will be a sharp, bright "pre-Katrina" and "post-Katrina" division in these peoples' lives. The rich will be all right, the poor will stay poor. But it will get pulled together.

September 01, 2005 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home