Tuesday, August 09, 2005

bored

Maybe once you have a job that actually matters to someone, it's hard to have a job that makes no difference to anyone.

I enjoy not being stressed out, being able to 'leave my work at work,' not worrying about it when I go home. I enjoy not having dreams about my job, not worrying about whether or not I'm really doing any good, as I'm not trying to do any good to anyone at all.

But it's really sort of difficult to get into a job when you know it really doesn't matter.

Or maybe that's just the sort of person I am - do I really want to spend 40 hours a week doing something that does nothing towards making the world a better place for anyone? No. I do not.

Is it enough to tutor a few hours every week? Is it enough to volunteer every so often? Can I really tolerate a meaningless, capitalist job?

I believe I am in a holding pattern. Eventually, I am going to have to land, get off the plane, and get back to work.

I wonder how long it will be until I get motion sickness from the circling...I'm starting to feel a little queasy...

4 Comments:

Blogger mamalicious said...

Hi Clandy;

I understand completely - I took a job away from teaching years ago because I thought I needed something mindless. It didn't work. What are we if we're not helping? You'll go back...

I hope you're well.

August 09, 2005 10:30 PM  
Blogger Clandestine said...

Hi!

I was just thinking about you while I was on the train this morning!

Yes - I will go back. I will try to remain where I am for a year - they did take a risk hiring me and I feel like I should stay for one year.

It's a great lesson to have learned, though!

August 10, 2005 8:05 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Keep your nice capitalist job. At least for two years!

August 16, 2005 7:49 PM  
Blogger author said...

hey there... as per my blog question... what kind of games do you like?
Jan and I love jax and daxter and all that came after it.
Spyro is good fun, as is sly cooper and ratchet and clank. We wait for new versions to these games each year.
Other options are more retro arcade type games. You cant go wrong with those.
Happy shopping for a new one.

August 16, 2005 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home